Friday, June 10, 2011

Swimming'

When we were in Elementary school we got to take the bus to the pool with an older grade and take swim lessons! I think that is where my fear of deep water began. I remember faking like I couldn't swim well so I wouldn't have to join the group in the DEEP end! :) I remember one day our instructor taking us over to the deep end to practice diving!!!!!!! I did NOT want to dive in that 12 foot water... I remember crying and hated the feeling that I had to do it....

Don't get me wrong, I do love pools and swimming. I think after that incident of swim lessons I shut down and didn't try to learn anything new... I realized last week at our first swim for TriBabes that I really had no idea how to really swim... you know with your head in the water, breathing every so often off to the side? Yea... I know how to doggy paddle, swim with my head up, and I am amazing on my back! I noticed though that it takes a lot of effort to just do it that way, and you don't go very fast.

I went to the pool at the Y last night and did some laps on my own... I watched others swim and hated how they made it look so damn easy! I tried to do the breathing thing to the side and ended up getting a face full of water! lol... Today I met my brother at the Y... he wants to help me train for this triathlon... I asked him if he swam like a normal person, he wasn't sure, so he put on my goggles and off he went! Yea.. that easy, he was swimming the right way!!!!!!!!!!! So he showed me, I tried, it was so so... then he asked me if I was blowing out my nose when I was under water... I was like... yuck.. no! lol... so we practiced by the wall, and then I put on the goggles and tried a lap with his suggestions... it worked! He said I looked good too, even though I felt like a freak!

I still need work I think... my lower back hurts a lot when I swim, I think I arch it and I am not sure how to change that... so anyone with swim advice or wants to help give me some lessons at the Y can help! :)

Oh yea... and then Shannon wanted to get some of those kick boards and just work on our kicks!!!!!!! OMG... yea so here i am kicking like everyone else but I am NOT moving!!!!!!!!!! So I sucked at that too! I tried all types of kicking, the lady in the next lane was trying to give me pointers but there I stayed!!!!!!! So I was done for the night after that!

Tomorrow is a BRICK...  6 Mile bike ride and 1.5 mile run!

No comments:

Post a Comment