Sunday, June 26, 2011

Big girl Panties!

I realized this morning it has been awhile since I last wrote something on this blog! I am not good with blogging, so I am making it my goal to keep you all updated on my journey, and to use this to help myself reflect on what I am doing everyday!

BIKE/RUN: Our last BRICK we did 7 mile ride and a 1.5 mile walk/run. I was having an "off" day that day of workout... I had been sick the whole week before, so my body was very tired. My chain fell off going up a hill so I had to get off and put it back on and keep going... when I got done, I walked the 1.5 mile part. I really want to start pushing myself with that part... start running a little, walking, running, walking, etc... I really try to get some workouts in during the week and so Mark and I took our bikes out this week... we ended up riding 11 miles! That was a crazy thing... there were so many times I wanted to stop and quit, but I kept going... Not often to I push myself past my comfort zone, and it felt really good afterwards when I got home!

SWIM: I am amazed at myself on this part. I started TriBabes only being able to doggy paddle, and I have a big fear of open water... you cannot see what is in that water but you can FEEL it! YUCK... I have always hated deep water too, for the fear of drowning and putting my face in the yucky water...lol I never liked going out in boats when I was a kid either...So we have had 3 lake swims. First being an orientation and a small swim out to a pole and back... then from here on we add a "lake lap" to each lake swim. So last Tuesday we did 2 lake laps. Each lake lap is 200 yards... The weather was finally nice last week! There are a lot of women who have wetsuits, but I have not decided to invest in one this year... Knowing this part if my biggest fear, and each time I show up I think to myself "what the heck am I doing?!" I think back to what our leader Lisa told us on our first swim "You got go put on your big girl panties... you canNOT be a diva in the water... and we are not swimming like pretty orca whales, we are swimming like ugly beluga whales!" LOL... I keep her words in mind and I just SWIM! I focus on ME and not anyone else, because I know what I need to do and it doesn't matter how long it takes me. I am so proud of myself for TRYING... that is what is so important to me... if I don't try then why am I doing this?

My brother Mike showed me some swimming techniques and I attended a pre-swim class taught my our leader, and will continue going early to have her help me with my swimming... I am proud to say I am starting to swim the freestyle! With my head in the water and everything! I cant say I am not scared out there, but the pride over shines the fear and I think how amazing I am! LOL

SELF: Not only am I becoming more active, I seem to be building a lot of self confidence too :)  I am reading a book that a friend suggested called the "Slow, Fat, Triathlete" it is such a great book so far, and the author is so funny! It definitely helps to read it as I am working towards this huge goal... there is a part about not worrying what you look like and what other people think of you... here is a little excerpt "... life is way to short and precious to worry about what other people think when you are out doing something. Self-consciousness is the enemy of fun." I keep this in mind all the time... if I am having fun and doing something good for myself, why would I care what other people think? I am working on getting those bad thoughts out of my head because they only bring me down! :)

Thanks for reading! :)

Thanks for reading! I am going to really TRI to do some interval running this week! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment