Tuesday, June 7, 2011

BRICKS and LAKE SWIMS

So to understand some of the things I will be talking about I thought I would give you a peek on how this actual "Training" goes. Kitsap TriBabes is a group of women who are led by a lady names Lisa. Training season runs from June-September. Every Tuesday there is a lake swim out at Wildcat Lake. This is where we will learn to swim like an actual Triathlon event.

BRICK stands for Bike-Run-ICK... yes try running after you have rode your bike for awhile, it is not easy, that is why the ICK is at the end! :) We had our first BRICK last Saturday. We did a 5 mile bike ride and a 1 mile walk/run. It was a lot of fun! I was glad I took my bike out a couple times before we did this, otherwise I might have been last or gave up! There are so many women there that they send you off in "waves." So you kind of get to pick where you think you would fit best. Since it was my first time, I chose the last group. It went really well. I think next week I might move up one group. The walk/run last Saturday I chose to just walk. I will be working up to a run, but for now I will take that part slow. (Just to make my chiropractors a little happy!)

Each week these lake swims and bricks are all increased in distance working us to the actual amount of the triathlon or farther. There will be a mini triathlon closer to August to give us a feel for what to expect. In addition to all this swims and bricks, there is a training schedule for suggestions as to what to do on the days we are not together.... so I will be doing some of those extra things too! Lisa says if all you do is come to the 2 a week trainings you will be able to complete the triathlon in August. However, she said if you want to get fitter and maybe lose some weight, then the extra training is what you should include also.

Tonight is our first lake swim! It is rainy and somewhat cold out! But, the show must go on! When signing up for this there was a question Lisa asks us on our form "what is your fear about doing this"... my answer to that was the swimming portion! I hated swim lessons as a kid because they made you dive in the deep end! I have always hated open water like oceans and lakes because you cannot see the bottom! When I cannot touch the ground it freaks me out. To be honest I only dog paddle and swim on my back. I do not put my head in the water and swim like a "normal" person. Plus I hate bathing suits! Yes I know.... I need to not worry what others think, but for now I do, and I am hoping to get that out of my head and realize how amazing I am, and can be!

So wish me luck tonight! I will let you all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment